Updated: Dec 24, 2019
In what year was the commandment given?
9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
9:25 Know therefore and understand, [that] from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince [shall be] seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof [shall be] with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
Daniel 9 is connected to Daniel 8
The 70 “week” prophecy of Daniel 9 was given over 500BC. It located the exact year that Jesus was baptized becoming the Messiah, the duration of His ministry, the year He died ending the sacrificial system, and the exact year the Jews sealed their rejection of the gospel.
The 9th chapter of Daniel continues the explanation of the vision given in chapter 8. Note the connections between the two chapters:
1. Gabriel, who had appeared to Daniel in the vision of chapter 8, appears again (Daniel 9:21). 2. In chapter 8 verse 16 Gabriel had been commanded to make Daniel understand the vision, but he had not. In chapter 9 Gabriel returns and says, “I am now come forth to give thee...understanding,” the very work he had been given in Dan 8 but had not completed.
3. In chapter 9 Daniel refers to the “vision at the beginning,” in which he had seen Gabriel. This must be the earlier vision of Dan 8 as no vision had intervened be- tween this and that.
4. In chapter 9 Gabriel refers Daniel back to the vision of Dan 8 saying, “understand the matter,” and “consider the vision.” 5. Gabriel then began explaining the very subject left unexplained in Daniel 8, namely the time period of 2300 days. “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people.” The word translated “determined” literally means “cut off”. Seventy weeks were cut off the 2300 days of Daniel 8 and thus both periods begin together.
The prophecy did not state that transgression and sin would end in the 70 weeks, only that the period was given for that purpose. The 70 weeks were a probationary period given to Israel to stop sinning. Israel failed and as a result they were cut off.
Christ Himself did what Israel failed to do.
1. Christ finished the transgression Christ was the first of mankind to stop sinning.
2. Christ made an end of sins (Heb. chattah) Chattah is often translated “sin offerings.” 116 times. Christ ended the sin offerings when He, the one to which all sin offerings pointed, died upon Calvary. Christ was, “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29.
3. Christ made reconciliation for iniquity
“We were RECONCILED to God by the death of His Son.” Rom 5:10. Christ made “everlasting righteousness” available to all by faith. The reconciling death of Christ occurred DURING the 70 weeks, in the midst of the 70th week He caused the sacrifice and oblation to cease when He died.
4. Christ brought in everlasting righteousness Christ brought in everlasting righteousness. He has made continual rrighteousness available to all through faith in Him.
5. Christ sealed up the vision and prophecy This chapter does not contain a vision. The vision this prophecy sealed up was the vision of Dan 8. Not until the 70 weeks were understood could the vision of Dan
8 and the 2300 days, be understood. The accurate fulfillment of the 70 weeks, when begun in 457BC, also seals or confirms that 457BC is the correct start date. As the 70 weeks were cut off the 2300 days, the the start of the 70 weeks (457BC) is also the start of the 2300 days.
6. Christ anointed the most holy
Having made the earthly ministry & sanctuary obsolete by His death, Christ ascended to and anointed the “Most Holy,” the Heavenly Sanctuary, before beginning His ministry within. This was typified by Moses anointing the earthly sanctuary before ministry began within. (Comp. Exo 30:22-30; Heb 8:4-5; 9:11).
This may also refer to Christ being anointed at His baptism. However the Hebrew for “Most Holy” (qodesh qodashim) is frequently applied to the things of the sanctuary but not to a person unless this be an exception.